As winter draws in and the temperature starts to plummet, the weather inevitably deteriorates and road conditions can be, at times, quite treacherous. It is vital, therefore, that you take good care of your car, in order to get through the cold months unscathed.
During winter, driving becomes an altogether different prospect as conditions worsen and the roads become slippery and unsafe. Not only this, but bad weather and low light means visibility is greatly reduced and accidents are more common. Making sure your have carried out your basic winter car checks helps keep you safe and reduces your risk of breakdown.
Basic winter car checks
Here some other basic checks to carry out before winter sets in. These checks will help to keep your car in good health through the winter and lower the risk of unnecessary breakdowns. Be sure to check the following:
- The battery- A battery older than 5 years might have issues in the cold weather.
- Antifreeze- Regularly check the levels and if necessary, top up.
- Lights- Obviously lights are vital during the dark mornings and evening, we recommend you carry spare bulbs.
- Windscreen wipers- Extremely important for keeping the foul weather out of your eyeline. Replace wipers if broken.
- Oil levels- Always check your oil levels, especially before a long and change if necessary.
Winter tyre care
Keeping your tyres in good condition is imperative in order to be as safe as possible. Now that the weather is turning cold, you should ensure that your tyres have at least 3mm of tread. You should also check the pressure of your tyres at least every two weeks.
In many European countries it is the law to switch over to cold weather tyres during the winter months. Although this is not the case in the UK, we strongly recommend that you consider a set of winter tyres for your vehicle. Winter tyres are made using a different rubber compound which increases the tyres’ flexibility gives greater braking and traction performance in temperature below 7°C. If you drive regularly, give winter tyres a good deal of consideration.
If you carry out these checks and look after your tyres you’ll have a much better chance of a avoiding a breakdown during the winter. If you want your car servicing before winter, then browse our different servicing options.